Datsun Roadster Restomod Update 3 of 4! — Chroming, Wheel Fit, Engine Overhaul and Install
Happy Friday! We’re back with another installment in the build of our 1970 Datsun Roadster 1600 Restomod Project.
In this post, we’ll be talking about the parts we had re-chromed, how we fit the Volk TE37V wheels, and give an overview of the engine refresh and re-installation process.
Thanks to our partners on this project who have provided a wealth of knowledge and support:
- Atlantic Motorsports (amstuning.com)
- Ravspec (ravspec.com)
- TurboXS (turboxs.com)
Enjoy the photos!
RE-CHROMING AND LIGHT RESTORATION
Below are two photos of the pieces we sent out to be re-chromed. The overall condition of the parts was relatively good, but there was some corrosion and pitting present which we wanted to clean up.
AFTER — the result of the re-chroming process speaks for itself:
While everything was apart – we sourced a complete set of reproduction and OEM rubber gaskets for nearly every single part on the car.
The reverse light was a little bit rough, understandably so, as it hangs down below the rear bumper. Here’s a photo walk through of how we brought it back to life!
The first step was to sand blast the housing:
Then, we primed and painted.
The final steps are to reassemble the housing. During this phase we installed a new gasket and polished the lens to remove some oxidation.
We undertook a similar process to restore the taillights; as you can from the side by side; the gaskets were VERY overdue for replacement.
Restored lens with new gasket (LEFT) / Before (RIGHT)
Some photos of the process used to fit the world’s only set of Volk TE37V’s on a Datsun Roadster. Due to the odd bolt pattern and oversized front hub design – wheel options for the Roadster are very limited. We chose the TE37 for it’s classic, timeless style and extremely high quality construction. For the front wheels, our friends at TurboXS were able to mill out the center bore to accommodate the large hub of the Datsun.
Final sizing is: 15×7.5 -6 (F&R) with 195/55/15 Dunlop Direzza Tires.
Checking clearance and width:
ENGINE REFRESH, TUNEUP, DRESSUP
A quick overview of the engine refresh process. We replaced the entire ignition system with new distributor, plugs, plug wires, coil, distributor cap and rotor. A new water pump was fitted. The carburetors, valve cover and radiator were polished and various parts were painted or coated. During this process we utilized a complete engine gasket and seal kit – replacing those gaskets which we deemed in need.
ENGINE RE-INSTALL AND CLEANUP + DASH COVER AND STEERING WHEEL INSTALL
We got a nice surpise when we started to strip the paint from the original radiator and found the gorgeous original copper underneath:
ASSEMBLED PHOTOS – We will have one more blog post covering the final details on the Datsun Roadster Restomod project in the coming weeks; including the finished interior/door panels and a final, completed photoshoot before we list the little roadster for sale.